June 28, 2010

The Tooninator - Matt Boismier

This is my take on the Tooninator. You can see his work at http://tooninator.blogspot.com/. I attached a 30 second sketch which was the basis for this sketch. Both the sketch and the final piece were drawn while not look at any reference. I usually start by going through some reference photos and letting them sink in, then I'll do some quick sketches trying to find some interesting shapes. I find I dont second guess my choices when I'm working from a mental image instead of a photo. I also have a super short attention span so I always carrying a little notepad to doodle when I have the chance. I use the best of the thumbnail sketches as a starting point for the vector piece. Hopefully I end some even nicer shapes in the process of adding depth and shadow. Anyways, I'll see if I can get a video of the entire process some time soon.